Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:57:49 +0200
From:      Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: expat2 in the base system?

--=.S+u_eCnq0Tn'ny

> > 2.  Under assumed name, "libxmlread" or something.  This means that
> >     nothing which doesn't explicitly ask for it will get in touch with
> >     this version of libexpat, and that will only be the programs in
> >     the tree.  We don't need to track the official libexpat (sort of
> >     like the DB(3) situation, except with better isolation I guess).
>
> This seems to be a nice idea.  Can you trim down "our" version of expat
> to only the libxmlread part or so?  This way we don't get too much
> bloat, the perl fiasco won't happen, and once we've got a working
> version we can update only for bug fixes.
IMO 1. would be better with a complete expat. So the ports could use the system version and probably/maybe the drift between the official- and system-version will not be that big. And compared to Perl expat it rather small. So the bloat couldn't be that big..

Marc

--=.S+u_eCnq0Tn'ny

--=.S+u_eCnq0Tn'ny--