Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:07:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net, tom@sdf.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mrcpu@cdsnet.net, nate@mt.sri.com
Subject:   Re: Final request for help with release.  (DPT boot floppy)

> I have also seen mysterious lockups (for a few seconds) with Solaris
> x86 when I bombarded more than two twin-channel controllers (Adaptec
> 3940W/UW) with lots of requests.  FreeBSD had no problems whatsoever.

This is probably a PCI issue.  Most Intel PCI bridges do not
correctly arbitrate between more than two bus mastering PCI
devices simultaneously.

Stefan posted about this a while back.

I think there's a newer chipset that actually supports any number
of devices (up to the number of slots, anyway), but I don't remember
the name of the thing off the top of my head.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.