Date:      Sat, 7 Jan 1995 19:59:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Graphical installations and such

In my opinion, much more important than pushing for a graphical
installation program at the moment is the need to increase the
chance of the first boot of FreeBSD to work 99.9% of the time and
run on 99.9% of the machines out there.

What I mean by this is:

1) VM86 Bios mode disk driver as the method of installation, and
as a viable alternative for folks waiting for their drive to be
supported.  Linux has this.

2) Externalizing the probes from all the drivers and doing the
probes (like NT, OS/2, and Windows 96^H5) once you've got the machine
up and can say to the user "Hey, I'm about to look for the hardware
you have installed...if I freeze, this is what you do... you can also
bypass the probe and tell me what you have".

3) Take the probe information and configure a kernel appropriately.

4) Ask about the type of ethernet device people have (link2 saga).

5) Have a shell availible!!!

Seriously, the text based install tools are not sufficienly polished to
warant a graphical install at this time.  2.0 was by far the hardest
release of FreeBSD for me to install because I wanted a shell, and whenever
NCFTP froze, you had no choice but to reboot!  Having ^C and ^Z reboot
the machine was a nice touch too (seeing as anyone who has ANY Unix
experience will try this if something goes wrong).  This is not to
bag on the 2.0 install tools.  I think they are a great start, but
they do alienate the seasoned hacker and do not provide enough flexibility
yet.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1