Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 16:00:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Mitchell <brian@saturn.net>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        Sociedade Brasileira de Quimica/Admin <sbqadm@sbq.org.br>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rlogin vulnerability?

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to Sociedade Brasileira de Quimica/Admin:
> > ping.c - pr_addr(l)
>
> Interestingly enough,  the diff is  about  pin, not  rlogin. Anyway, it was
> fixed a while ago in 2.2-CURRENT:
>
> ----------------------------
> revision 1.6
> date: 1996/07/28 20:29:10;  author: peter;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -2
> Limit the risk of `buf' overrun in ping.c when printing hostnames.
>
> Note, this is not really a security risk, because the buffer in question
> is a static variable in the data segment and not on the stack, and hence
> cannot subert the flow of execution in any way.  About the worst case was
> that if you pinged a long hostname, ping could coredump.

This is not true, the function is not used when you enter a hostname. It
is used when you get a non-echoreply packet when you are in -v mode,
thats the only time it is called.

Brian Mitchell 				                brian@saturn.net
"I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell"
- H. Truman