Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:16:01 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changes to binutils (--target=alpha-freebsd)

Hello All,

This morning I tried building a cross of binutils (from i386-freebsd) for
the target alpha-freebsd. The configuration worked (./configure --target=
alpha-freebsd), but during the build there were linkage errors in ld/.
(Nothing serious, just unresolved externals.)

I've changed the following files to allow the cross-binutils to build:

bfd/config.bfd

	56a57,60
	>  alpha*-*-freebsd*)
	>    targ_defvec=bfd_elf64_alpha_vec
	>    targ_selvecs=ecoffalpha_little_vec
	>    ;;

bfd/configure.in

	116a117
	>  alpha*-*-freebsd*)  COREFILE=elf-core.lo ;;

This last change (configure.in) is not necessary for building a cross of
binutils. AFAIK, it sets the format of the core file (!), and as yet, I
haven't got FreeBSD up and running on an alpha to test it.

i.e. IT IS VERY PROBABLY WRONG (!)  AND NEEDS TESTING

Can these changes be checked, and submitted into the source tree?

In the next few days, I'll attempt to build world for the alpha target.
I've had a (quick) dig around the /usr/src/Makefile's, and it appears that
support for cross-compilation exists. It appears to be as simple as setting
TARGET, and TARGET_ARCH. I'd appreciate any comments/hints on how to go
about the build.

Kind Regards,

Michael Kennett
(mike@laurasia.com.au)