Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:35:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@cksoft.de>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Porting Apache 2 MPM perchild to FreeBSD. Raising funds?

Hi,

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm kinda annoyed that MPM perchild, the by far coolest feature of
> Apache 2, doesn't work on FreeBSD. Basically, perchild would allow it
> to have Virtualhosts running under different UIDs than the mainserver
> which, how I understand the docs, would mean that we'd finally be able
> to run PHP and other DSOs under the UID of the user the Vhost belongs
> to meaning the safe_mode/open_basedir hacks in PHP would be obsolote.
> I think most of the ISPs who use vhosts on this list would have a big
> interest in getting this feature to work ASAP because it results in
> *greatly* increased security for shared webhosting environments.
[snipped]

even with the Apache MPM functionality setting the userid for a
virtualhost with AssignUserID and ChildPerUserID configuration options

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/perchild.html#assignuserid
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/perchild.html#childperuserid

would preallocate a certain amount of worker threads for a certain
userid.  This would not be of any use for masshosting environments
with hundreds of vhosts per server.

With hundreds of vhosts per server all served by common server
processes you can share the perhaps 10-20 servers for all vhosts.

With MPM you would have to preallocate the servers. Not good.

Of course for a a handfull of customers who all want to run the php
module instead of the cgi this would be doable.  For these kind of
numbers of customers a jail setup is already an option today.

Anyway I would think that the threading support in upcoming FreeBSD
5.0 should take care of the mpm stuff.

just my 0.02$

Greetings
Christian

--
CK Software GmbH
Christian Kratzer,		Schwarzwaldstr. 31, 71131 Jettingen