Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 19:44:33 -0700
From:      jbarbee@singular.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   unconfigured ttyv0, no video card.

Hi,

  Using FreeBSD 3.2.  When the machine starts up it gives this error during
rc.i386

rc.i386 configuring syscons: blank_time/etc/rc.i386: cannot open
/dev/ttyv0: no such device or address

even though ttyv0 is there.

ls -l /dev/ttyv*
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,   0 Aug  9 15:27 /dev/ttyv0
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,   1 Aug  9 15:27 /dev/ttyv1
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,   2 Aug  9 15:27 /dev/ttyv2
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,   3 Aug  9 15:27 /dev/ttyv3

The only interesting thing I could find was that even when I

./MAKEDEV vty4

I still could access the device.

cat > /dev/ttyv0
/dev/ttyv0: Device not configured.

If I manually try

vidcontrol </dev/ttyv0 -t 600

I get the same error, but one different from the output of rc.i386.

I'm using a serial console and pulled the video card.  Does the ttyv0
device depend on the existence of a video card?

It doesn't seem like I need anything in rc.i386, but I'd like to keep it in
case I ever put a vido card back in.  At the same, that error is bothering me.

TIA

john.