Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 12:24:29 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   permission confusion at mount points

Hi!

I had a directory "/usr2" with mode 0700 owned by root.wheel.  On that
I mounted a filesystem with mode 0755 owned by root.wheel (data of its
root node).  The OS is 2.2-stable CVSUped lately.

By a command (actually CVS checking out the OS source) failing I had
to look for a reason why "/usr2/.." from within a subdirectory of
"/usr2" could not get accessed.  It looked all fine to me.  Read and
execute permissions for everyone so no good reason to fail I thought
except some bug or problem with the filesystem.

A few minutes later I thought about it again and came to the
conclusion that the underlaying mount point might be the problem and
it really was.  The more rigorous permissions on the mount point
inhibited doing even a complete "ls -la" in "/usr2" - it failed to
stat ".." while all other entries were accessible.

Should the mount point really influence permissions this way w/o
giving any indication of this?  Or is this behavior unintentional?
Is it worth a PR?

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.