Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:35:30 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   non-console mode..

I need to make the system run with it's console disabled..
in other words..
the device exists, bu tut acts as if there is no console

Basically the way I 've been thinking about doing this
is to have a "console mute" variable that mutes teh console IO
before it get's to the physical devices.
The aim is to have it be enabled
1/ by a sysctl action from a running process.
2/ by setting a boot flag (or failing to set one)

thoughts:
There are already several boot options regarding the console
and I don't want to add too much more there..

my question:
Would I be justified in adding a "RB_MUTE" flag?
existing flags that might imply "NO_MUTE" might be:

#define RB_ASKNAME      0x001   /* ask for file name to reboot from */
  has to ask from somewhere
#define RB_SINGLE       0x002   /* reboot to single user only */
 where is the shell going to run?
#define RB_KDB          0x040   /* give control to kernel debugger */
 ddb need the console.. but gdb-remote is better without
#define RB_CONFIG       0x400   /* invoke user configuration routing */
 The config needs to run on something
#define RB_VERBOSE      0x800   /* print all potentially useful info */
 If the user wants to see it they might want a console..
#define RB_SERIAL       0x1000  /* user serial port as console */
 well the user SAID he wanted a console..

I would rather set a new flag so that existing code runs as usual
by default..
so I suggest RB_MUTE	to indicate that the console device
is MUTED.

if anyone has violent objections, I'd like to hear of them before
I start work on this
thanks.

julian

p.s. yes there are good reasons for doing this :)