Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:42:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 30fps with vic?

>     would want only MPEG 1 quality, but leased/wider bandwidth networks will use
>     MPEG 2. unfortunately, MPEG 2 capture boards are very expensive ($4-5K).
>
>  You know of MPEG 2 caputure boards in that range?  Who makes them?

for those that are interested in where I got the ballpark prices of MPEG-2
prices is in an article in April 15, 1996 PC Week (see once in a while there
is something interesting in a rag) page 10 under the article "C-Cube on a roll
with MPEG-2 chips for PC video production" (possibly accessible thru
http://www.pcweek.com/).

This article introduces C-Cube MPEG-2 chipset. In the article they claim
"at least three of C-Cube's cutomers - Optivision Inc, of Palo Alto CA;
Otibase Inc of Dallas TX; and FutureTel inc of Sunnyvale CA - will announce
PC addin boards based on the chip sets this week at the National Association
of Broadcasters show in Las Vegas. the boards are expected to have prices of
around $4000."

A couple of weeks ago in PC week, they talked about IBM's 3 chip MPEG-2
processing chips that will be available in early summer. they estimated a
capture cards using these chips would cost $2500.

In last week's MacWeek (again embarassed to be a rag reader) I tried to
find it but I could not I think it is in the April 8 edition, it mentioned
a shipping, PCI bussed, single pass, MPEG-2 capture card for $4000.

--mark.