Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 1995 22:33:15 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Ugen J.S.Antsilevich" <ugen@netvision.net.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Lists back?And load-prog question

<<On Mon, 16 Jan 95 13:59:41 IST, "Ugen J.S.Antsilevich" <ugen@netvision.net.il> said:

> 2) Question: when i run programm to which adresses loaded it's
>    data? Text? Where is stack? (I mean VM adresses of corse)
>    How user VM looks like? To which parts it divided? (PO,P1 and so on..)

User VM space runs from VA 0 to VA 0xefffffff minus a little bit.  The
first page is left unmapped to help diagnose null-pointer-dereference
bugs in both the user and the kernel.  The program text begins with
the second page, and data and BSS are immediately after that.  The
break area comes next, followed by the (grow-down) user stack, program
arguments, and some per-process user data structures.

David once promised to write something that goes into more detail and
also described the kernel memory layout.  I don't know if he ever got
started on it, though.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.