Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:19:41 -0600
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        GP <godpost@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP needed by experienced porter for simple review

--RASg3xLB4tUQ4RcS

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 10:22:06PM +0100, GP wrote:
>>> rc.conf
>>> It's a shame that I can't use a script placed in /files to change rc.co=
nf
>>> during install/
>>> deinstall. I really liked that. But i guess I will settle with a dull
>>> pkg-message at the
>>> end, like the rest of you...
>>>=20
>> Well, no, it's not a shame.  The last thing we want to do as a community=
=20
>> is enable all sorts of daemons that users don't know they have enabled.=
=20
>> It's up to the owner of a box to enable a daemon **in the way** that the=
y=20
>> want it enabled.  For example, *none* of the daemons on my workstation=
=20
>> listen for connections on its IP address - only on localhost.  If you=20
>> enabled the daemon by default while installing the script, and I didn't=
=20
>> have time to config it the way I wanted, and it got started (either by=
=20
>> accident or by reboot) I would be pissed (not to mention possibly hacked=
=2E)
>>=20
>> As porters our job is to make the software available for install *not*=
=20
>> decide how or when it will be used.
>=20
> I principal I agree. My script asked if you wanted the lines added to=20
> rc.conf or not.
> That can ofcause be a problem i you want to make install world or=20
> something...
> But the current way is not very userfrendly - especially for non tech=20
> desktop users.

If you really want to change this it would need to be done in a way that
all ports can use central infrastructure.  I'd probably be opposed to
having the prompting be part of the ports makefiles and propose putting
it in the various ports managment tools.  If we changed things so we
installed per-port defaults files those could serve as a template for
general tools to do automatic editing.

-- Brooks

--RASg3xLB4tUQ4RcS

--RASg3xLB4tUQ4RcS--