Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 07:53:16 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet interface names

Philippe Regnauld wrote in message ID
<19980803133915.52291@deepo.prosa.dk>:
> The advantage would be that you could pull out a dead card, plug
> a new (not necessarily of the same model), and there woudln't
> be any need to edit rc.conf, rc.firewall, etc...

Thats assuming that the card is of the same bus type. If you replace an ISA
card with a PCI card, you will probably end up with a different probe order,
and hence the exact problems you highlight above. If you could do device
numbering persistance like solaris does, so that devices don't change numbers
over a reboot (just a reboot -r), then I think the `eth' scheme may work.

I think the biggest thing stopping us doing it is POLA....

Gary