Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 13:13:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      djv@bedford.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Freebsd-questions and the web page

There seems to be frequent newbie-confusion over the questions link
on the freebsd web pages. It appears to the casual visitor to
be an email link to an official help desk, and it takes occasionally
several emails to clear up this impression, and point out the truth
that the user has wandered into an quasi-anarchic commune.

It might eliminate some problems if the link led to another page
which said:

	"Fill out this form to post your question to the world-wide
	mass circulation 'freebsd-questions' mailing list. A happy
	volunteer will probably get back to you in a few minutes
	or hours. Click here to read Greg Lehey's "getting the most
	out of f-q"  Click here to browse the FAQ, which might
	get you an instant answer to your question. Click here
	to browse the FreeBSD on-line User Manual. Click here to
	subscribe to f-q, (not necessary to get a response, but nice)."

I'd say that links to FAQ and manual should be to ascii versions of
same, to facilitate web-browser based searching.

Dave
--
"Today, machines sit on our desks and spend the overwhelming majority
of their cycles doing nothing more important than blinking a cursor."