Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 2009 18:20:30 -0400
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Debugging Options

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Glen Barber<glen.j.barber@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everyone
>>
>> I have a two-part question:
>>
>> I have a minimally customized GENERIC kernel, with the only changes bein=
g:
>> options =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 KDB
>> options =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 KDB_UNATTENDED
>> options =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 DDB
>>
>> and 'sysctl debug.debugger_on_panic' shows:
>> debug.debugger_on_panic: 0
>>
>> However, after a panic loading the vboxdrv.ko module, the machine did
>> not reboot automatically after reboot.
>
> I meant "automatically after panic". =A0It's early, and I am apparently
> unable to type a coherent thought...
>

>> Here are my questions:
>> 1) =A0Would enabling DDB in the kernel prevent an automatic reboot after=
 a panic?

>> 2) =A0Does the debugger wait for XX seconds of console inactivity before
>> rebooting? =A0I was under the impression from the handbook that the
>> machine would instantly reboot and after dumping the crash to vmcore0.
>> =A0Is this assumption incorrect?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any input.
>>

> Also, if this is helpful, the userland / kernel are from two days ago, r1=
93481:

> FreeBSD orion 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #0 r193481: Fri Jun =A05
> 01:55:06 EDT 2009 =A0 =A0 root@orion:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ORION =A0i386

Sorry for the noise... Disabling DDB from the kernel corrected the
reboot issue.

Unless I am misunderstanding how it is worded, it is unclear from the
HTML docs that DDB overrides KDB_UNATTENDED.

If I am misunderstanding, I apologize, but I'm more curious if I am
experiencing unusual behavior with DDB enabled.

--=20
Glen Barber
http://www.dev-urandom.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/glenjbarber