Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 20:28:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marvin McNett <mmcnett@ucsd.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound through left channel only

I'm having trouble getting sound set up on my FreeBSD 4.2 box.  I'm
using an Ensoniq ES1371 PCI sound card (I believe this is the same as
the SoundBlaster 128 PCI).  After recompiling the kernel with:

	device	pcm

added to the kernel config file, then creating the dev entries with:

	./MAKEDEV snd0

in /dev, I reboot to find that my sound card is properly recognized.  The
following is an excerpt from dmesg indicating this:

	pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0xe800-0xe83f irq 9 at device 14.0 on pci0.

However, when I try to play a sound file, I only get sound through the
left channel.  I have sound working in Linux, so I don't believe it's a
hardware problem.

Has anyone else had this problem with this particular card?  Is there
something I'm forgetting to do here?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

-Marvin