Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:39:26 -0800
From:      gdonl@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis)
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c worst-case kernel paths

On Jan 21,  7:59pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:
} :So what needs to be done is:
} :
} :(a) drop all multicast packets that reach the tcp stack.
} :(b) extend ICMP_BANDLIM to RST packets, and
} :(c) avoid sending anything tcp to a multicast address
} :
} :Do I forget something here?
} :
} :-- Giorgos
}
}     That's pretty much it.  I've already sent a patch set to Warner for (b).
}     I don't think we should do (a) or (c) until after the release, multicast
}     isn't going to explode on us in the next 4 months.

But that doesn't stop an attacker from sending forged TCP packets with
forged multicast addresses.  Spraying the local network with a multicast
response to an incoming unicast seems like a bad idea.