Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 12:03:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Cassandra Perkins <cassy@loop.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RAID Controller Product

On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> I am curious as to why you would choose to do this.
>
> If you currently have your I/O spread amongst several machines, you gain
> from having the data replicated.  If you have N machines, you have
> approximately N times the I/O bandwidth available as compared to a
> solution where you only have the main system's I/O bandwidth available.

[snip]

Considering the constant growth of Usenet, it seemed better to use the
extra drives, required to duplicate the number of articles, to increase
storage and time articles are kept on the server.  We would still have
multiple machines handling news request, however, the articles would be on
the raid-controlled fileserver.

As for the fault tolerance issue, must problems I've seen with servers
going down are due to failed drives.  So using RAID level 5 I hoped would
reduce the down time considerably.  Although, this is less of a benefit if
the RAID controller had poor or non-comparable I/O performance than
concatenated drives (ccd).

| Cassandra M. Perkins               | People usually get what's coming to |
| Network Operations                 | them... unless it's been mailed.    |
| The Loop Internet Switch Co., LLC  |          -fortune                   |