Date:      Fri, 31 May 1996 09:27:51 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@MARMOT.Mole.ORG>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, sextonr.crestvie@squared.com
Subject:   Re: Disktab and SCSI Performance.

> -d 0
> Rotdelay is only useful for slow disks.  All small nonzero rotdelays are
> equivalent to skipping every second block, i.e., to using an interleave
> of 2 for blocks.  This is in addition to any hardware interleave, and has
> much the same disaadvantages as hardware interleave: an interleave of N
> reduces the best-case performance by a factor of N.  Disks with their
> Iown read _and_ write buffering don't need to be interleaved at the block
> level.  For disks with read but not write buffering, you can use -d 0
> to get the best possible read performance but abysmal write performance,
> or -d 4 to get medicocre performance for both read and write.

Rotdelay and/or artificially increased interleave can be useful for
fast disks, too. It can be used to prevent a fast drive on a non-dma
controller from starving the CPU to the exclusion of user programs.
Sometimes slowing disk I/O can be an advantage. From experience :-)

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good