Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 12:16:10 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Cc:        isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, roger@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help - I need a login shell over my ISDN line

Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> > Having cheked the i4b package closely, it seems there is no way
> > to set it up so I can dial up the ISDN line and get the good old
> > ASCII shell and a login prompt.
> >
> > Is this true, or is there something I have missed?
>
> This is true, but you have missed something :-)
>
> True is: currently there is no way to connect to i4b using a modem,
> i4b does not support a modem simulation or V.110 or V.120 (and
> probably will never).
>
> But coming from an ISDN line using i.e. synchronous PPP and dialling
> into an i4b machine set up to use sync PPP callin will get you -
> proper setup done - will get you the good old ASCII shell and a login
> prompt.

Ok. Thanks.

In my case I am making a 'digial' data call from my Mobile
Phone and I set the Mobile Phone from "dialing an anlogue
modem/fax" to "dialing an ISDN line" mode.
Next week I'll get hold of a new GSM Phone (HSCSD) which
supports 42kbits speeds. These _only_ talk to ISDN lines
as they do not support any audio modulation.

Sorry for being ignorant to V.110 and V.120, but
are these the protocols for negotiating the connection
speeds for a digital connection.
Ie would these be used for my Mobile Phone to tell my
ISDN hardware that the phone onlu supports 9600 and not
the fill 64kbits?

Thanks
Roger