Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 11:02:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sendmail file limits

Recently Tomasz Zin said:

> On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> > Does anybody have an idea, why larger e-mails from our
> > customers who logon with digital modem via USR TC
> > (via PM port) die with this message ?

> > Smaller e-mails no problem, but larger e-mails (~1.7MB) cause
> > problems. Different platforms (Mac, Win95), same problem.

> > Mar  3 13:37:25 klemm2 sendmail[24750]:
> > NAA24750: SYSERR(root):
> > collect: I/O error on connection from usr01-004.hightek.com,
> > from=<mail.hightek.com>: Connection reset by usr01-004.hightek.com

> > I assume hardware problems on out TC ... What do you think ?
> > I'll try to enable syslog now on the TC ...

> In my opinion this is hardware problem. While mail is transmited
> conection is closing. Mayby carrier is turning off.
> This is dial-in or leased line?

> Check in modem settings of parity and stop bits.

Since the difference is with small vs large emails, check the M
setting in the sendmail.cf.

Look for MaxMessageSize=(somenumber).

The one on this machine si 500000.  I don't recall the defaults but
on one system I bumped it to 4000000 as clients (print shop) were
exchaning large graphics via mail.

--
bill@bilver.magicnet.net | bill@bilver.com