Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 19:46:31 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building a "custom" release of 2.1.0

>> > The only problem with devfs is that the author is never happy with it
>> > and starts re-writing it from the beginning again before ever finishing
>> > any of the previous versions. :-)
>>
>actually I'm kinda happyu with it as it is. The only thing that needs to be
>done is to add devfs entrys in the SLICE code..
>to tell the truth I'd REALLY like BRUCE to do it as he has all that in his
>head, and I don't feel happy abut doing it..
>If that were added it's pretty much complete..
>needs some code for removing items and such but we could start
>using it in earnest if that were done.

   Recent testing I did with devfs showed that it was eating up vnodes like
crazy. All I had to do was stat a devfs file and it would eat another vnode.
The system seems to eventually recycle them, but something isn't quite right
about this. I haven't looked any further into this yet.

-DG

David Greenman
Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project