Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:21:57 +0200
From:      Bernd Rosauer <br@stiller.netland.inka.de>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger - Personal Account" <babbleon@mercury.interpath.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TeX & FreeBSD

> I'm trying to TeX with freebsd.
>
> I want to pre-load my own macro package, and that doesn't work at all
> 'cause the *.ltx files are missing, which my package needs since it uses
> LaTeX as a base.
>
> But that *should* be ok anyway, 'cause my package should just work as a
> macro package under LaTeX, but I'm getting the following weird error:
> [...]
> Since TeX is the primary reason I have the machine, this is a serious
> problem, and I can't remember where the "standard" LaTeX distribation
> is to just do it myself from scratch.  (Though I'll try the new & newsgroup.)

Get teTeX.  It is _the_ TeX & friends distribution for Unix-like
platforms.  You will be delighted.

You will find the FreeBSD port under

    /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/print/teTeX/

and the package under

    /pub/FreeBSD/packages-current/All/teTeX-0.3.3.tgz

on ftp.freebsd.org and its mirrors.

If you have any question about the FreeBSD port, please, direct it
to tetex-freebsd@informatik.uni-hannover.de.

If you have any question about teTeX in general subscribe to
tetex@informatik.uni-hannover.de (or simply send your question to
this mailing list).

Enjoy!

-Bernd [teTeX port maintainer]