Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 10:56:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ad4: READ command timeout -- how to debug this?

[ cc'ing Søren who wrote ata in case he can use the drive model in a bad drives
  list ]

On 07-Jul-00 John Reynolds~ wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've recently built up a dual celeron (533) machine (Abit BP6) to serve as a
> new firewall/gateway/server/etc. machine for my home network. I thought the
> machine was rock stable but I've been running into periodic freezes--one of
> which I finally saw something on the console (as there were never any messages
> in the syslog--and no "panic" messages).
>
> I was building world this morning (with -j8--which I'd done the day I upgraded
> from 4.0-R to 4.0-STABLE) and in the middle the machine locked hard and I saw
> this on the console:
>
>  ad4: READ command timeout - resetting
>  ata2: resetting devices..
>
> and that's it--the HDD light was "on" continuously but the machine was just
> toast. A hard reset and manual fsck (because things were pretty well hosed)
> got it running back again, but I'm at a loss for how to debug this.
>
> dmesg shows:
>
> atapci1: <HighPoint HPT366 ATA66 controller> port 0xe000-0xe0ff,0xdc00-0xdc03,0x
> d800-0xd807 irq 18 at device 19.0 on pci0
> ata2: at 0xd800 on atapci1
> atapci2: <HighPoint HPT366 ATA66 controller> port 0xec00-0xecff,0xe800-0xe803,0x
> e400-0xe407 irq 18 at device 19.1 on pci0
> ad4: 9765MB <Maxtor 51024U2> [19841/16/63] at ata2-master using UDMA66
>
> Are these messages (not the dmesg output) indicative of a hardware problem?
> Bad cabling? Cosmic rays?

Your hard drive has issues.  It needs to run in PIO mode rather than DMA
mode.  You can do this with the hw.atamodes sysctl.  For example, my
maxtor drive is ad2 in my system, so I have this in my /etc/sysctl.conf:

> cat /etc/sysctl.conf
hw.atamodes=dma,---,pio,---

Type 'sysctl hw.atamodes' to see what the current value is, and change the
5th entry (corresponding to ad4) from "dma" to "pio".  Then create an
/etc/sysctl.conf with the new setting.  Note that your performance is going
to go way down after this, but that is the price of buying Maxtor it seems.
:(