Date:      Fri, 9 Dec 2011 20:02:45 +0100
From:      "=?UTF-8?B?5paH6bOl?=" <bunchou@googlemail.com>
To:        Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin@pldrouin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which Lenovo Laptop?

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:18:17 -0500
Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin@pldrouin.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:03 AM, =E6=96=87=E9=B3=A5 <bunchou@googlemail.co=
m> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am typing this message on a W520 running 9.0 stable, which should
> > be similar enough to the T520.
> >
> > - MBR boot works fine, but GPT seems to be impossible (Lenovo
> > =C2=A0appears to have messed up again).
> > - The NVidia driver is working almost perfectly once you enforce it
> > in BIOS, but occasionally (3 times in last 2.5 months) the screen
> > starts displaying a strange block pattern after some time and
> > renders the display unusable until I restart X (logging in via SSH
> > works, as does the power button =3D=3D ACPI shutdown). Haven't been
> > able track the cause down yet.
> > - Suspend seems to be unreliable, so I stopped trying (back on
> > BETA2).
> > - acpi_ibm.ko works once you patch sys/dev/acpi_support/acpi_ibm.c,
> > =C2=A0line 338, and replace "IBM0068" with "LEN0068", which makes most =
of
> > =C2=A0the multimedia keys usable.
> > - Wireless is working (iwn), but I'm not using it that frequently so
> > =C2=A0YMMV.
> > - I cannot comment on bluetooth, camera or SD card reader, since I
> > =C2=A0never use those.
> >
> > But there is one annoying problem I did not manage to fix yet: The
> > screen brightness control does not work at all, i.e. it's always at
> > maximum (hw.acpi.video sysctls seem to have no effect). All in all,
> > this laptop is a nice desktop replacement, just don't expect the
> > battery to last too long.
> >
> > Best regards
>=20
> When you say that suspending seems unreliable, do you mean that it
> sometimes work? Did you try unloading kernel modules before putting it
> in sleep mode to see if it makes a difference?
> About screen brightness, I thought there was a setting in xorg.conf
> that made it to work?
>=20
> Cheers

OK, now I feel foolish now: I _had_ tried the "RegistryDwords"
"EnableBrightnessControl=3D1" setting once, but had a typo in it and
didn't notice. Now I brightness control also works. So the only
remaining problem really is putting the machine to sleep. Should teach
me not to accept failure to quickly ;)

Best regards, and thanks for the tip.