Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:42:25 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (Scott Mitchell)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: audio from atapi cd -- patches for 2.2.6

> I had a play around to see if I could figure anything out -- but as I know
> basically nothing about how ATAPI works I don't know how much I achieved :)
>
> Anyway, with DEBUG turned on in atapi.c (plus a few extra printfs) I get
> the following from dmesg for my two IDE controllers:
>
> [...]
> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST3660A>, multi-block-16
> wd0: 520MB (1065456 sectors), 1057 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> atapi0.1 at 0x1f0: attach called
> wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <CD420E/1.01>, removable, cmd12, slow, iordy

i cannot parse the debugging stuff either, but at this point the
code tries to read the capability page of the drive and apparently
fails (or it would produce something more on the capability of the
drive).

> My off-the-cuff diagnosis:  The drive is crap, and I should just replace
> it :)  It looks to me like something is off with the timing, since it
> almost works when all the debug output is there to slow everything down (it
> gets logged to a drive on the same controller).  If you think it's fixable

I'd like to see the output of /var/run/dmesg.boot with and without my
patches.

	thanks for the feedback
	luigi

(btw. i'll be in london at ucl next monday!)