Date:      Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:46:23 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        chris@pennasoft.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update strategies

> From: Chris BeHanna <chris@pennasoft.com>
> Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:32:29 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Friday 06 December 2002 00:44, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> >
> > I cvsup the source 3x/week via cron, ports slightly less often, and
> > buildworld when I feel like it (which isn't TOO often) or when
> > there's a security announcement made.
>
>     Polite inquiry:  why are you cvsup'ing so often when you only
> rebuild seldom?  You're generating extra load on the cvsup mirror that
> you're using to no productive end.

I'm unsure of the validity of this argument.

It is generating load more often, but each update is small as only the
changed files are downloaded. There is some (perhaps significant) load
generated by the test to see which files need to be updated, but
little traffic moves.

If you only update every once in a while, you will do a large download
of a great many files.

The issues is whether the public cvsup servers are more concerned
about I/O and network bandwidth or CPU load. I'll admit that I don't
know.

The real reason I would NOT do this is that I want my sources to match
what is actually running. But many people probably never look at the
sources, so they don't care.

> > I'm looking into portupgrade to update ports, it seems like it's
> > going to be cool!
>
>     It is.  Once you have a populated /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf,
> it can save you a lot of time.
>
>     I'm still not willing to do "portupgrade -aF" nightly, but it
> still saves me time.

I do a cvsup of ports on one system nightly, rebuild the database, and
do a 'portversion -vL=' to see what needs to be updated. I do the
actual updates the next morning, sometimes selectively. I only do this
on one system so that I can pre-test before ports are updated on other
systems which I do weekly or (for servers) less often.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)