Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:44:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <joeo@cracktown.com>
To:        Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.0.1 and DRI

A month ago version checking was added to the usermode parts of the DRI.
You can't really mix and match the usermode stuff with later versions of
the kernel module.

run "make -f Makefile.bsd" in the directory I mentioned (the one with
subdirectories named "tdfx", "drm", "i810"...

then "make -f Makefile.bsd install" should install stuff up in /modules
for you.

Make sure the that "mga" is listed as one of the subdirs in the makefile.

XFree86 will not autoload the mga kernel module for you.
need to load the drm.ko seperately).

kldstat should show something like this, only with "mga.ko" instead of
"tdfx.ko"

zorak> kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    7 0xc0100000 2739f8   kernel
 2    1 0xc0b35000 2000     green_saver.ko
 3    1 0xc0b41000 5000     tdfx.ko
 4    1 0xc0b47000 d000     drm.ko

dmesg will show something like this;

drm0: <3Dfx Voodoo 3 graphics accelerator> port 0xe000-0xe0ff mem
0xe8000000-0xe9ffffff,0xe6000000-0xe7ffffff irq 10 at device 20.0 on pci0
info: [drm] AGP at 0xea000000 16MB
info: [drm] Initialized tdfx 1.0.0 19991009 on minor 0

sysctl -a will have some sections with hw.dri in the name.  When the
Xserver is running and the dri is active the Xserver should show up as a
dri client;

hw.dri.0.clients: a dev pid    uid      magic     ioctls

y   0   325     0          0         29