Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:00:42 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <summoner@uswest.net>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Really slow FTP performance on 3.1-RELEASE?

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, took me ages to sort this out and
while trying something I forgot to put double-quote at the end of an
ifconfig line in /etc/rc.conf, preventing me from getting into
multi-user mode and neither of my usual editors would work in single
user mode.  It took me a while to figure out how to fix it.

Kent Stewart wrote:
> Summoner wrote:
>> I've been having some very poor FTP transfer perfromance on my home
>> LAN.  (See below for systems info)
>>
>> When I upload from rook (client) to mason (server), I get 2.1MBps.
>> That's not a problem, I consider it pretty decent performance given
>> the uploading machine runs Windows 98.  When I download from mason to
>> rook, however, I only get ~9.3KBps.
>>
>> The test file was an ~18.3MB Win32 SFX install (a small program
>> with a large body of compressed data attached).  Disk space is
>> limited on mason, so I couldn't try a much larger file.
>>
>> Downloads from internet FTP sites to rook or mason give me upwards of
>> 75KBps.  I had a friend download the test file from mason over the
>> internet and he got ~28KBps.
>>
>> Any ideas why local downloading from mason would be so slow?
>>
>> Info:
>> mason:
>>
>> CPU: AMD k5-100
>> Mainboard: MTI R533, 430VX chipset
>> OS: 3.1-RELEASE
>> NICs: Two Intel EtherExpress Pro's
>>
>> uname -a:
>> FreeBSD mason.home.lan 3.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE #0: Sat Jul 24 00:49:58 P
>> DT 1999     noc@mason.home.lan:/usr/src/sys/compile/MASON  i386
>>
>> I haven't done anything to optimize things other than building a
>> custom kernel.
>
> You haven't told up some important system information such as how much
> memory you have

32MB

> and what kind of hard drives you have on both systems.

mason: Conner Peripherals CFS540A (516MB)
rook: Western Digital AC34000 (3.71GB)

> The flow of information begins with how fast the client is at
> obtaining information and then the network comes in to play.
>
> My ifconfig -a shows the following
<snip>

$ ifconfig -a
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.x.x netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 192.168.255.255
        ether 00:a0:c9:0d:c7:d9
        media: 100baseTX
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX 10baseT/UT
P <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP
fxp1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 209.180.175.209 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 209.180.175.255
        ether 00:a0:c9:1f:3b:50
        media: 100baseTX
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX 10baseT/UT
P <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP

fxp0 -> rook (PtP)
fxp1 -> Internet

I couldn't figure out a way of forcing full-duplex mode.

> This was setup from from my /etc/rc.conf where I have
> ifconfig_fxp0="inet 169.254.0.3 debug netmask 255.255.0.0 media
> 100baseTX"

ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.x.x netmask 255.255.0.0 media 100baseTX"
ifconfig_fxp1="inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 media 100baseTX"

fxp1 is configured dynamically by dhclient at boot.

> If you had IDE drives on "mason", you will have to force PIO or DMA
> and read ahead with "flags on your HD controller". It is usually
> better if you test it by booting and doing a visual config at startup.
> The flags I use are "flags 0xa0ffa0ff" on both IDE controllers.
> Setting flags like this has been known to hang a system and adding the
> parameters at boot saves a step.
>
> My configuration from a "dmesg | more" shows the following
<snip>

dmesg:
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <Conner Peripherals 540MB - CFS540A>
wd0: 516MB (1058400 sectors), 1050 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <CD-ROM CDU55E/1.0u>, removable, accel, dma, iordy

> Usually such bismal performance often comes from a reverse DNS problem
> where you are in one host table but not the other.

To my knowledge Windows 98 doesn't keep a host table of it's own, not
one that can be hand-editted, anyway.  Mason's host table is the
/etc/hosts file (which has entries for rook), no named or other DNS
servers are running.

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1               localhost.home.lan localhost

192.168.x.x          mason.home.lan mason
192.168.x.x          mason.home.lan.

192.168.x.x          rook.home.lan rook
192.168.x.x          rook.home.lan.

> You may also have to force full duplex on the 3C905B in your NIC
> parameters on Win 98.

According to the 3com Diags, the NIC is in full-duplex mode.