Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 12:53:06 +0800 (WST)
From:      Terry Dwyer <tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
To:        invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>
Cc:        James FitzGibbon <james@teamos2.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to delete strange filename

On Sun, 3 Mar 1996, invalid opcode wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Mar 1996, James FitzGibbon wrote:
>
> > Okay, stupid question here:
> >
> > Somehow, I've got a file called "-i" in my home directory.  How do I
> > remove it?  Everything I've tried attempts to parse the "-i" as a
> > parameter, even with quotes (all varieties).
> > James FitzGibbon                                           james@teamos2.org
>
> Look's like someone tried to exploit your system via suid shell scripts.
> rm -rf "-i"

Nope that won't work, use rm -- -i
The name of the file is being seen as an option all other options after the
'--' are ignored as with most other utilities

   _-_|\    Terry Dwyer 	  E-Mail: tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au
  /     \   System Administrator  Phone: +61 9 491 5161     Fax: +61 9 221 2631
  *_.^\_/   Telecom Australia     Telstra Corporation       MIME capable mailer
       v    Perth  WA                 ( I do not speak for Telstra or Telecom )