Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:15:57 +0100
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        Steve Ames <steve@ns1.cioe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best news server config

We have a PPro 200, with 256MB of RAM.  We have eight 4GB Quantum
Atlas II drives spread across two channels of a 3940UW.  (Disks are
used as: one system/history/logs, one overview, two stripped for
alt/binaries, and four stripped for the rest of spool.)  CPU and
memory are fine.  I/O mostly OK, but probably need to spread the
history/log load out.

We're running INN-1.5.1 with a few patches.  Fairly reliable, except
for an intermittent problem that causes the active file to get
corrupted (one extra space at the very end;  innd doesn't care;  nnrpd
does), and regular messages about .overview files having 'bad format'.

Since the last hike in news flows (up to around 700K articles/day),
we're only barely keeping up.  Though I think that network congestion
(due to pulling feeds across transatlantic links) is an issue for us,
we don't have much spare capacity.  The inntimer stats show little
free at busy times.  About half the time is spent writing articles,
the rest scattered.  At full whack, our system processes a max of
about 3000 article writes in 5 minutes with no idle noticable.  That's
only 860K articles in a day.  Nothing like the spare I planned for
when I set up the machine and news was flowing at 300K/day.

Your system is very likely maxed out in I/O.  Have a look at iostat or
systat to see how many tps your disks are taking.  You may well need
more memory.  INN likes lots.  Consider increasing NBUF as well if you
get more memory.

I'd be interested to hear what other people are experiencing.  We're
thinking about installing a Diablo front end machine to smooth the
transatlantic flow and do some spam deletion before things get to INN.
--
Alan Judge                                      Phone: +353-1-6046901
Indigo Network Operations Centre                Fax:   +353-1-6046948