Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 08:11:58 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        jahanur <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Cc:        Leo Kliger <leo@astea.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to uudecode an attached file.

jahanur wrote:

> I am sory I must have explained wrong.
> I will try to elaborate my problem more :
> I was able to find the command but the problem is that
> if I type
> $ uudecode filename
> then I get the prompt back I dont know if the file has been uudecoded or
> not if it is then according to the man page I was suppossed to see it the
> user's working directory.
>
> So i see the file there with same name and if I want o view it with vi
> I see the binaries only, nothing else.
> I dont know if I am doing it right or not.

Is that not the file then? Probably is, you wouldn't need to uuencode
an ASCII file, so if the output file is binary it's been uudecoded. If
you open the original (uuencoded) file, which is ASCII text, in vi you
should see a line like:

begin 644 filename

``filename'' is the name the file will be decoded to.

> Please help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jahanur
>
>  On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Leo Kliger wrote:
>
> > have you tried the absolute path like the following (example only)????
> >
> > ./location_of_uudecode/uudecode /location_of_file/your_file_name
> >
> > to find uudecode use the following (or similar) command
> >
> > find / | grep uudecode
> >
> > best of luck....
> > Leo
> > ----------
> > > From: jahanur <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
> > > To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> > > Subject: How to uudecode an attached file.
> > > Date: Tuesday, 12 January 1999 17:09
> > >
> > > I everybody,
> > > I am new at Unix.
> > > I have received a attached file in "uuencoded" in via e-mail.
> > > I use pine. I was able to save it into a file but now the problem is
> > > I dont know how to do uudecode. I gone through the man pages, and done
> > > exactly still does not work. It says " NO such file"
> > >
> > > Please could some body help me uudecode.
> > >

> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Jahanur@jjsoft.com

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com