Date:      Thu, 27 May 2010 20:09:13 -0400
From:      Carl Chave <carl@chave.us>
To:        Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Media streaming

 >As for ushare and multiple streams Carl, I played
> something on the xbox360 upstairs then tried the Philips streamium
> downstairs, it could not see the media server at all, was that what you
> were getting ? I will test it again tomorrow as this streamium bit of
> kit is quite old and fairly flakey in its operation.

Thanks for testing Graeme.  It's been probably two years now since I
last used ushare, but, it was the easiest and most reliable of the
bunch for doing what I wanted, which was just to browse my directory
structure - none of the annoying automatic categorization and
cluttered menus.  The fatal flaw was not being able to stream to two
players at once (not talking about synchronizing here, just different
streams to multiple players).  I can't remember exactly what happened
though either the second player would error out when attempting to
start a track or it just didn't see the server as you described.
Maddening and I never had the opportunity to ask anyone to test it to
see if it was my specific setup or what...