Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:00:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scanf in the kernel?

Archie Cobbs writes:
> > Just wondering what the general feeling would be about having scanf in
> > the kernel?  As we move towards more abstract representations of things
> > (eg. device names), it's becoming more important to be able to parse
> > strings inside the kernel.
> >
> > Doing this in hand-rolled code is tedious, error-prone and results in
> > code that can be hard to read and maintain (as everyone does it their
> > own way).
> >
> > If this isn't totally repulsive, I'll roll a somewhat smaller version
> > of the libc vfscanf for general approval.

Also-
Seems like the kernel was missing memmove(), memcpy(), and/or memset()
at some point. I like using these better than bcopy()/bzero() because
they are more ANSI and portable...

And what about snprintf()? Would that be hard to add to the existing
printf() functionality? The kernel is definitely one place you
don't want to overflow string buffers...

-Archie