Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 19:43:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Andrew Koester <Andrew7782@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD without partition?

Andrew Koester wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I run two windows operating systems (Windows ME + Windows 2000
> Professional) and when we received the computer, the whole thing was
> converted to native Microsoft FAT-32 before we got it. In other words,
> I can't partition the disk.

> Is there a way to install FreeBSD on my system without creating a
> partition and still load my other OS's (even through a DOS command or
> such)? Thank you.

Not really. FreeBSD and Windows can't exist on the same partition, and
FreeBSD generally requires a UFS root filesystem to install. It will NOT
install on any FAT variant.

My suggestion is to use a quality disk partition resizer. The new
Partition Magic should be capable of resizing your FAT32 partition so you
can install FreeBSD at the end of the drive.

Or, buy another small drive.

> Andrew Koester
> Andrew7782@hotmail.com

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon