Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:50:17 -0400
From:      "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@blinx.net>
To:        "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why two cards on the same segment...

Jonathan M. Slivko <jslivko@blinx.net>
Blinx Networks
http://www.blinx.net/

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To: "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc: "Julian Elischer" <julian@elischer.org>; "Eugene L. Vorokov"
<vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>; "Soren Kristensen" <soren@soekris.com>;
<freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>; <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 4:45 PM

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> [...other stuff I've not personally encountered snipped...]
>
> > ...or the mess the FreeBSD alias code is in, with it demanding
> > netmasks of 255.255.255.255 on aliases, so that aliases and the
> > primary IP _MUST_ have the same netmask instead of different ones
> > (hell, he may just be trying to have two IP's with different
> > netmasks, and the only way he can do it in FreeBSD is to have two
> > cards!).
>
> Why would you want multiple IP addresses that belong to the same IP
> network to have different subnet masks?  You'll break the network.
> If you're saying that you can't put two or more different IP addresses
> on one NIC that belong to different IP networks, then don't tell my
> router that, it might decide to stop working. :-)
>
> fxp7: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 207.160.214.253 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 207.160.214.255
>         inet 207.160.214.252 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 207.160.214.252
>         inet 192.168.254.254 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.254.255
>         ether 00:08:c7:07:b2:96
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>         status: active

Yes, but, I think the issue with the 2 IP classes working is because one is
not routable, and therefore it's not a real
 IP address, and the router knows this, hence it's not reacting to it by
stopping to work. As long as you use virtual
ip's (192.168.*.*) then there should be no reason why it wouldn't work.
However, if your talking about a routable
IP address, then you might have a problem, as there is a difference between
a virtual IP address and a real (routable)
IP address. Just my 0.02 cents. -- Jonathan