Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:26:32 -0700
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmah@freebsd.org
Subject:   Documenting pcic changes to -CURRENT and -STABLE

--==_Exmh_-2035594112P

Hi all--

I admit I'm really ignorant about the latest pcic(4) changes for both
-CURRENT and 4-STABLE.  I'm wondering if someone might be able to help
me write up release note entries for this stuff.  I asked Warner, but
he's clearly busy getting the code to *work*, and we are all probably
better off with him putting his time into that part.

To kick things off...here was a list of questions I would have needed
to write something up.  Some of this might be "remedial knowledge" to
some...it might not need to go in release notes entries, but I wouldn't
be able to write anything without knowing this...

> 1.  What does "interrupt routing" mean?
>
> 2.  What do "PCI attachment" and "ISA attachment" mean?
>
> 3.  Does this term (and attendant code) apply only to PCMCIA and/or
> CardBus devices or are other devices (e.g. PCI/ISA cards, built-in
> NICs/disk controllers/other hardware) affected too?
>
> 4.  Does the new code allow me to use new devices (e.g. NICs, disk
> adapters) that I couldn't use before?
>
> 5.  Does the new code allow me to use devices on new machines that I
> couldn't before?
>
> 6.  Does the new code improve performance, flexibility, or reliability
> in any way?
>
> 7.  What configuration file (i.e. KERNCONF, rc.conf, rc.sysctl)
> changes do I need to make?  (RTFM is an acceptable answer if I can
> point readers someplace, for example the pcic.4 manpage.)

If anyone can help (either by answering the above, or, preferably,
actually writing some release notes-like thing), I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-2035594112P

--==_Exmh_-2035594112P--