Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 20:05:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Bill Bartley <comet@loop.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Disappointed by lack of ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM support

On 12:55:25 Bill Bartley wrote:
>>Hi,
>
>I am writing to let you know why I could not consider using
>FreeBSD on my home machine -- the lack of ATAPI/IDE cdrom
>support.
>
>The online docs say that the drivers are considered "ALPHA" quality.
>
>They also say verbatim what they said when I first inquired about
>FreeBSD nearly two years ago.
>
>Couldn't any progress have been made on the cdrom drivers in two
>years?

Well, whats your excuse FOR NOT FIXING THE ATAPI STUFF YOURSELF?

Its not as if anyone's feelings are going to be hurt because you
are not using FreeBSD. And heck, keep in mind FreeBSD is essentially
a volunteer effort. Volunteers don't work on projects because
somebody like you WANTS it, they do it because THEY want it.

If you want each and every little PC gadget and quirk suppored on
your PC then you've got to run Microsoft's products. Or Linux, as
there is very little PC-ish stuff that Linux doesn't lovingly
adopt, no matter how poorly its documented or implemented
(hint: ATAPI).

However, *I* tried FreeBSD with a Sony ATAPI CDROM, it seemed to
work fine, so I bought the drive:

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (atapi): <CD-ROM CDU77E/1.0e>, removable, accel, dma, iordy
wcd0: 689Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 256 volume levels, ejectable tray
wcd0: no disc inside, unlocked

Haven't hardly used it since.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)