Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:29:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 430VX motherboards

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Mark Mayo wrote:

> Hi all, I finally got the cash together to buy a new FreeBSD system, and
> I was looking for motherboard recomendations. I've heard the 430HX
> chipset from Intel is quite good, and I _think_ I recall someone saying
> that ASUS makes a good board with the 430HX in it.. is this correct and
> if so what was that model number again??
>
> I've also been hereing the the new 430VX chipset (which supports SDRAM) is
> way fast. Does anyone make these yet? (I prefer ASUS cause I've had
> nothing but good experiences with ASUS so far) . I know DELL makes one,
> but it comes loaded with multimedia crap and no SCSII (huh? ;-)

Well, because we sell the new Triton IIIs, I had a chance to test a couple
out, they seem pretty good.  They have the PCI-PCI bridge for those
interested.  It's not an Asus, but a FreeTech motherboard.  It has jumper
settings for the Pentium 200 (3x66) too!  It also supports the AMD K5 and
Cyrix 6x86.  The ones we tried are very stable and the Award BIOS has lots
of new additional features in the CMOS (if you like tweaking the
settings).  The SDRAM support is via a DIMM slot.

Looks like a winner!

----

 -------------------------------> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com/shopping