Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:29:51 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Variant Link implementation, continued

At 6:36 PM -0700 7/1/98, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> My initial reaction is that I wouldn't want links to depend on values
>> in environment variables.  If I setup some "clean environment" for a
>> program I'm exec-ing, I'm not going to think to copy values which are
>> important for these links to work.
>
> If you have ever used Apollo's Domain/OS, the advantages of having
> synlink behavior be configurable by something as dynamic as the user's
> environment become very quickly apparent. :)

There's a difference between "being dynamically configurable" and
"being part of a namespace which users, scripts, and programs are
already clobbering on a regular basis with no current need to worry
what that might do to filesystem access".

I should note that I do want something that's readily configurable.
I just don't think the user-environment is the best place to hold that.
We'll still be getting programs from many other sources which will
blindly manipulate the standard user environment, and which will
not be worried about what that might do to file system access.

I would be a little more specific here on what I'd like to see for
that, but I haven't quite settled on what that would be...  In some
sense I'd like a session-level database of keys/values, such that I
could type in something in one xterm, and have that effect all active
applications (or maybe just all applications which *start* after I
enter the command -- even if they are not started from that xterm
window).  On the other hand, I have a sneaking suspicion that isn't
quite what I want either...

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute