Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:47:54 -0500
From:      "Jay Banks" <jay-b@quest4.org>
To:        <freebsd-rc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Getting a script to run at boot

I'm having a lot of trouble getting scripts to run on startup. It seems =
like a simple concept, but I reboot and reboot and reboot, and the =
script isn't running.  I've had to fight with stuff before but I can =
usually get it going (arpwatch, mpd, etc.). Now I'm trying to get sntop =
to run now and I'm getting nowhere.

Here is my sntop setup.

I created /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sntop.sh (with chmod 755 as per the docs).

Here is the script, which I got from the FreeBSD handbook:

#!/bin/sh
#
# PROVIDE: sntop
# REQUIRE: DAEMON
# KEYWORD: shutdown
#!/bin/sh
#
# PROVIDE: sntop
# REQUIRE: DAEMON
# KEYWORD: shutdown

#
# DO NOT CHANGE THESE DEFAULT VALUES HERE
# SET THEM IN THE /etc/rc.conf FILE
#
sntop_enable=3D${sntop_enable-"NO"}
sntop_flags=3D${sntop_flags-""}
sntop_pidfile=3D${sntop_pidfile-"/var/run/sntop.pid"}

. /etc/rc.subr

name=3D"sntop"
rcvar=3D`set_rcvar`
command=3D"/usr/local/bin/sntop"

load_rc_config $name

pidfile=3D"${sntop_pidfile}"

start_cmd=3D"echo \"Starting ${name}.\"; /usr/bin/nice -5 ${command} =
${sntop_flags
} ${command_args}"

run_rc_command "$1"

Here is what I added to /etc/rc.conf

sntop_enable=3D"YES"
sntop_flags=3D"-d -r 30 -f /etc/sntoprc/sntoprc -w -e =
/usr/home/mysites/www/data/e
tb/index.html"

If I change directory to /usr/local/etc/rc.d and do:

         perl sntop.sh start

The sntop will start and show up running in the system processes. It =
seems to refresh and all of the other flags seem to work. However, if I =
close the terminal session, that's it, it's dead.=20

And if I reboot, it will not show up to be running in the system =
processes.

Considering that sntop would be a type of script that one would want to =
make sure it is always running, I wish this could be addressed in the =
man pages.=20

Also, giving my issues here, I just tried to create a cron job to run =
it. That didn't work because it gets an error regarding fping.

I'm really a big advocate of FreeBSD, but for the love of all things =
holy, I could have a program start up on a Windows 2003 server in less =
than 10 minutes.=20