Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 01:54:08 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Andy <deimos@lewman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.5 now available . . . . .

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 03:06:41PM -0400, Andy wrote:

> Not to start a massive flamewar here, but in my personal experience with
> multiple FreeBSD boxes in a live environment, I've found that 3.x is much
> more stable than the 4.x servers.  I've gone so far as to revert the 4.x
> server back to 3.x.  I'm going to revisit the issue when it becomes 4.1.

It is only because I found a 3.4 installation cdrom more eaasily that I have
installed a 3.x version on my home PC, after removing for the zillion'th
time that Windows thing from my workstation at work.

One of the things that strikes me as a major difference between 3.x and 4.x
is that the latter seems to run more smoothly when I copy large amount of
data from an IDE device to some other IDE device near by.  The 4.x branch is
definitely a lot more stable now than 3.x, IMHO.

Not that 4.x never had any problems, since I recall trying a lot harder to
get MySQL and PHP-4 on a 4.x installation to work properly.  But that was a
couple of weeks *before* the release of 4.0; I suspect than by now 4.x has
become a lot better.  I guess, I'll have to try it once more, and see if it
works better now :-)

--
Giorgos Keramidas < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
Find my public pgp key at: finger://keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr/