Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 19:08:04 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@327.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about updating installed ports

I using 4.3 RELEASE , I've installed WindowMaker-0.64.0 from ports, and I'd
like to update this version 0.65.

I've been reading about the various ways to update installed packages and,
since I haven't done this before, I'd like to ask for advice.

I think the three approaches are:

1. Delete old. Install new.
2. Use pkg_update to update.
3. Use portupgrade to update.

Approach 1 seemed like the cleanest, so that's what I tried.

When I did "pkg_delete -v windowmaker-0.64.0", I saw a long list of items
deleted, ending with:

[...]
Attempting to remove dependency on package `jpeg-6b'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `png-1.0.11'
pkg_delete: couldn't open dependency file
`/var/db/pkg/png-1.0.11/+REQUIRED_BY'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `libungif-4.1.0b1'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `libproplist-0.10.1'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `tiff-3.5.5'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `imake-4.0.3'
pkg_delete: couldn't open dependency file
`/var/db/pkg/imake-4.0.3/+REQUIRED_BY'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `gettext-0.10.35'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `XFree86-libraries-4.0.3_1'
pkg_delete: couldn't open dependency file
`/var/db/pkg/XFree86-libraries-4.0.3_1/+REQUIRED_BY'

I'm a bit concerned about the lines that look like:

pkg_delete: couldn't open dependency file
`/var/db/pkg/png-1.0.11/+REQUIRED_BY'

What does this mean? Is it a problem?

Approaches 2 and 3 look good, but I'm not sure how/if they differ (from each
other). Why would one choose those methods rather than simply
deleting/reinstalling?

Thank you!

M.

--