Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:50:07 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Joe.Warner@smed.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some questions re: FreeBSD

Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:

> "If you can do all this with FreeBSD and get
> everything for free, why isn't everybody using it?"

Probably the biggest reason is that it's a consumer OS. It's not
preloaded, there's aren't any 'FreeBSD For Dummies' books, all the
shrink-wrap titles on the store shelves say "Windows" or "Mac", and
until very recently, there was no support.

In the enterprise, a consumer OS is a de-facto requirement. The CEO and
CTO have Windows or Mac at home, and that's what they want at work.
Plus, the lack of support is a major drawback. For example, gcc is free,
yet my work continues to pay out handsomely for the cygnus packaging
because we get support.

And finally, FreeBSD (and other unices) are not easy. It requires
computer literacy and willingness to learn more. A Unix requires
administration, and a lot of users don't want that.

>  Another one is:  "This
> is an excellent OS but if people can get it for free, how do the people
> that produce it make any money?"  or.."How can they produce such an
> excellent product and support it without any profits?"

The people who originally produced BSD were academics. They had monetary
grants to develop it. Today you find a mix of hobbyists, adademics, and
professionals working on it for free. The hobbyists work on it at their
spare time for enjoyment. Academics work on it at part of their studies,
or as proofs of concept. Professionals work on it to improve the
products they are using. A lot of FreeBSD contributors are a mix of all
three.

But a lack of profits only goes so far and for so fast. The biggest
thing that ever happened to Linux were the commercial distributors. I
suspect that the BSDi/WalnutCreek merger may be one the biggest things
for FreeBSD.

The question you didn't ask was "Why are they giving it away instead of
selling it?". I can't answer for any of the FreeBSD developers, but for
my own software, my answer would be: "I want people to use it 'cause I
had so much fun writing it."

David