Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 20:46:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mail Archive <archive@cps.cmich.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Cargille <jcargill@cs.wisc.edu>, Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Donations (was Re: Second appeal for sup ...)

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> 2. Hardware is a close second and a secondary freefall would be very
> good to have, assuming of course that internet connectivity for it
> could also be found.  This is why just the parts for a freefall clone
> wouldn't be quite enough - we'd need someplace to put it, and WC's T1
> is already starting to smoke.

IF and only if people will donate the hardware for this. I can afford to
spend the 100$ a month a friend of mine will charge to put a machine in
Chicago Nap. This could be connected at atleast 10Mbit and possibly
100Mbit depending on wether or not the hardware is available. This would
locate the machine in the worlds heaviest backbone node and be great
access for everyone. All I ask from this machine is a spot to run a low
use Web server from ( 300 - 400 hits a week) I would also be willing to
maintain this piece of hardware for nothing more than this use.

> 3. Money, well, money is always good for a variety of purposes.. :-)
>
> Unfortunately, I can't offer any special tax shelters for donations
> since the FreeBSD, Inc. corporation that David and I set up isn't a
> non-profit, it's just a standard California `S' corporation.  I

well if you build a machine here at our university to run SUP/FTP from
which is a dual homed T1. We can provide the taz incentives you are
looking for. All you do is ask the core team to collect money then have
them send the hardware for the machine to the university. We can then
write a receipt for the person that actually donated it (ie. if a scsi
controller cost 200$ and two people donated 100 each we would write a
receipt for 100$ for each of those two people.) This possibly could be of
help. I don't know just more food for thought.

Matthew S. Bailey
mbailey@cps.cmich.edu
Assistant Sys Admin