Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 10:44:36 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaServer 400 interrupt problems

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 11:43:13AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> I recently tried a KZPCM-DA card in an AlphaServer 400 and ran into
> a few problems with the interrupts.  The KZPCM-DA is a dual-SCSI
> (dual Symbios 53C875's), fast Ethernet (DEC/Intel 21140) card using
> an DEC/Intel 21152 PCI-PCI bridge chip.
>
> My AS400 has a DE435 (DEC 21040 Ethernet) in PCI slot 1.  When I
> plugged the KZPCM-DA into slot 2, the card and all its functions were
> found, but not configured because it claimed that the interrupts
> clashed.  Removing the DE435 and moving the KZPCM-DA into slot 1
> improved things a bit - the first SCSI controller was now attached,
> but the 2nd SCSI and ethernet were rejected due to claimed interrupt
> clashes.  In both cases, there are also "weird slot" messages from
> dec_2100_a50_intr_map() - which doesn't appear capable of handling
> PCI-PCI bridges.  I presume this is the underlying problem.

Right.

> How should the interrupt mapping function detect and handle PCI-PCI
> bridges?

Unfortunately it doesn't know everything needed about secondary busses.
I have a fix for -current which has a better pci infrastructure for
doing this.
It's only commited for axppci33, because it needs to be tested first.
For -stable you might try the patch noted by David O'Brien.

> A secondary problem is that all interrupts are treated as non-sharable
> ISA interrupts.  I don't believe this is valid.  Whilst the AS400
> interrupt routing uses the standard 8259 pair and interrupts from
> ISA cards can't be shared, I don't see why the kernel doesn't permit
> PCI interrupts to be shared.  The AS400 technical documentation
> definitely indicates that interrupts can be shared.

Interesting.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de