Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 1997 17:16:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, phk@critter.dk.tfs.com, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, jb@cimlogic.com.au, srn@flibble.psrg.cs.usyd.edu.au, freebsd-platforms@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Some one working on a SPARC version?

> > > Well, some of us at least...  :-)
> >
> > He had a smiley with a wink there, later.
> >
> > I was questioning the general mentality behind the Aristotilian mean
> > that says "there must be a 'them' for there to be an 'us'".
>
> I get awfully confused about who is/are "them" and who is/are "us". 8-)

us/them:

	unified VM/buffer cache
	coherent user space
	advanced component installation
	SMP
	wants kindom control over areas claimed by them/us

them/us:

	multiple platforms
	working stacking FS (easier to do in the old VM)
	clean multiplatform source/target build environment
	VM86
	wants kindom control over areas claimed by us/them

> The time that would be spent porting NetBSD/Sparc or NetBSD/Alpha
> to FreeBSD would be better spent making *BSD userland code build
> and run on NetBSD/* _and_ FreeBSD/i386.

And/or porting the unified VM code to NetBSD.

> Let FreeBSD kernel hackers hack FreeBSD/i386 and let FreeBSD userland
> hackers hack *BSD.

You mean "let *BSD userland hackers hack *BSD".  This solves "coherent
user space" everywhere, but fails on "advanced component installation"
everywhere, since it requires active maintenance on a per platform basis.

> Remove the "wall" and agree that there are lots of things that
> will continue to differ between FreeBSD and NetBSD, but accept the
> fact that there are a *lot* of things that can remain the same --
> build on that.

The wall is there for a reason... it seperates the kingdoms and keeps
the nominal kings mollified about their toes: a convenient fiction,
assuming we care about the kings toes... I don't.  Remember the "Falkland
Islands" (Merge) "discussions"?

Let us eat cake, I suppose...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert