Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 08:26:01 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        jahanur <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Cc:        Leo Kliger <leo@astea.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to uudecode an attached file.

jahanur wrote:

> I think I am understanading what am I supposed to do.
> I will give you all the steps from Pine. Please let me know If I am doing
> any mistake.
>
> 1) I saved the file from Pine to my working directory  with a file name
> "attached".
>
> 2)I went to my  working directory and typed the command "$uudecode
> attached"
>
> 3)I get back to the prompt without any error message. But when I "ls"
> I see a new file called "99 9:27:25 AM".
>
> 4) I try to view it and all see is another type binary code I believe.
> Here is what I see after I uudecode a file.

uuencoded files are *not* binary. They are made up *only* of printable
characters (although it looks like garbage)

> PK^C^D^T^@^@^@^H^@^]e\x87%\xb8\xdc\xfex\x94L^@^@^@L^A^@
> ^@^@^@prfl98.doc\xec}   |^V\xc5\xf9\xff&!!/\xb0\x80\x80'\xa8\xa3
> ^RIB^R^N\x83^G\
> xf5\xcd^A^Dr\x997\x81jku\x93w\x93w\xe5\xcd\xbb\xf1=^BQ\xeb\x89G\xbd\xc5^^\xde\xe
> 2}\xf5_\xe9\xbf\xb5V\xad\xb7\xa2x\xa2\x95j\xa5\x8a7\xd6\xb3*ri\xe5\xf7}\x9e\x99\
> xddw7^G" \xea\xe7\xd3\xb5\xdfgv\x9e\x9d\x9d\x9d\x99\x

Ahh. As per my earlier post, take a look at the *original* file. If
you see

begin 644 filename

or similar then the above file is correctly extracted. If you see
exactly what you have quoted above then the file is not uuencoded, but
some other encoding method. The fact that this new file starts ``PK''
and the second line includes a DOS-like filename suggests that it may
be PK-ZIP'd (in other words the file you were sent was PK-ZIP'd, and
then uuencoded by the mailer, because PK-ZIP files are binary).

If you are still struggling, you can send me the original file if you
like (if it's not confidential) and I'll take a look.

HTH

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com