Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 10:25:54 -0400
From:      Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Philipp_Gasch=FCtz=22?= <philipp@gng.de>, "Ganizani Phiri" <ganizani@malawi.net>, "Enno Davids" <nconedd@peppermint.national.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, <randy@qualcomm.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <qpopper@lists.pensive.org>
Subject:   RE: How can I disable FreeBsd Users

At 9:12 AM +0200 8/1/00, Philipp Gasch=FCtz wrote:

>  Hey,
>
>  I think it's far more easy to go via the shell. Have a look into - i
>  think - pop_pass.c. There is a function which checks whether the user's
>  shell is a valid shell. Now, if you are giving all users that you want to
>  disable a shell such as popper.shell (which is a symlink to i.e. bash or
>  false) and you add a couple of lines of code into pop_pass.c where you
>  compare the shell retrieved by popper with "popper.shell", you are able
>  to lock those out...

If you want to disable access via the shell, just add '#define
CHECK_SHELL 1' to the top of config.h and recompile Qpopper.  If the
user's shell is not valid, the user will be unable to access the
system.  If you want to prevent the user from telneting in but still
permit POP access, use a shell value of /POPPER/ANY/SHELL/.