Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 2010 20:10:56 -0500
From:      "Gene" <fbsd@brightstar.bomgardner.net>
To:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>,freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: version/revision control software for things mostly not source

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:08:49 +0300, Dan Naumov wrote
> I think I am reaching the point where I want to have some kind of
> sane and easy to use version/revision control software for my
> various personal files and small projects. We are talking about
> varied kind of data, ranging from binary format game data (I have
> been doing FPS level design as a hobby for over a decade) to .doc
> office documents to ASCI text formatted game data. Most of the data
> is not plaintext. So far I have been using a hacked together mix of
> things, mostly a combination of essentially storing each revision of
> any given file a separate file001, file002, file003, etc which while
> easy to use and understand, seems rather space-inefficient and a
> little bit of ZFS snapshotting, however I want something better.
>

> Sadly, FreeBSD's ZFS doesn't have dedup or this functionality
> would've been easy to implement with my current hacked together methods.
> Performance does't matter all that much (unless we are talking
> something silly like a really crazy IO bottleneck), since the only
> expected user is just me and perhaps a few friends.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Sincerely,
> Dan Naumov

Someone else mentioned Subversion and Tortoisesvn. I use these tools for
revision management of 600 or so powerpoints, graphics, and other
miscellaneous files that we use for church services. Once up and running, it's
simplicity itself. I also use websvn to allow read only access to individual
files via a browser. I've found it works like a charm.

---
IHN,
Gene

--
To everything there is a season,
And a time to every purpose under heaven.